Our Bit of Earth is green!

We're finally getting produce from out little garden in the front yard. Since the neighbor that initiated the project doesn't really eat too much, we've been benefiting from the semi-abundance of fresh food!




Yesterday I picked 20 large tomatoes, peeled and pureed them, and stuck them in the freezer for sauces later. There are several more ripe tomatoes, but I think I'll ask our neighbor if she wants more before I "go a'pickin."

The crookneck squash are overgrown to the point of swallowing most of my meager three rows of beans. But I do have two or three stubborn Cherokee wax plants that provided me with a small handful of tender beans.


As wonderful as the produce is, I'm still the proudest of our awesome sunflower plants! Caleb can see the biggest one from our living room window and it never fails to catch his eye when the shades are up.



Earlier today, I picked the largest zucchini we've grown. Look at it compared to Caleb (who happens to be taking his afternoon nap).


1 Response
  1. lindaharper Says:

    How this for your zucchini:

    ZUCCHINI-PINEAPPLE
    4 qt. cubed or shredded zucchini
    46 oz. canned unsweetened pineapple juice
    1-1/2 cups bottled lemon juice
    3 cups sugar

    YIELD: About 8 to 9 pints

    PROCEDURE: Peel zucchini and either cut into 1/2-inch cubes or shred. Mix zucchini with other ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes.
    Fill hot jars with hot mixture and cooking liquid, leaving 1/2- inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.

    RECOMMENDED PROCESS TIMES FOR ZUCCHINI-
    PINEAPPLE IN A BOILING-WATER CANNER

    15 minutes for pints