"Might I have a bit of earth?" (The Secret Garden)

Our downstairs neighbor kindly invited us to participate in the little garden out front. Todd used his manly strength to rip up several roots from a tree that had been removed a while ago. He also did some of the roter tilling. (Later she commented that it must be wonderful to have a big strong man around to help. I had to agree whole heartedly).

Mary had already planted squash, tomatoes, and onions amongst the flowers and herbs from last year. She gave us one of the tomato plants, and I got to add three little rows of beans, a couple sunflower seeds, a little patch of basil seeds, and two plants from the farmer's market. Every time we see her, she asks if we want to grow anything else...but honestly, there isn't any more room!

Each morning and evening, after the danger of intense sunshine has past, I can hear her down there watering everything. I really hope she hasn't washed away any of my seeds! It will be very exciting if anything actually grows - especially the sunflowers. I planted them with the idea of Caleb's reaction to flowers bigger than him. :)

Here is a picture of the bean rows...to give you an idea of how short they are.

And here is a picture of my lemon thyme and cilantro from the Provo farmer's market. The cilantro wasn't a fan of replanting, but it looks like it will survive.

0 Responses