Teepee Time

I harvested sunflower row yesterday.


After hanging up the heads to finish drying, I just couldn't bring myself to throw away the stalks. They were just so sturdy! So Caleb and I came up with a solution...


Judging by the hair on the inside of one wall (discovered during today's picnic...yuck), our neighbor's stray feline friend thought it was a pretty good place to spend the night too.

After we built our teepee, we went on one of our explorer's walks. Look what I found!



....no matter how cool I tried to make my praying mantis seem, Caleb persisted in taking more interest in a passing by ant. Oh well.

2 Responses
  1. Courtney Says:

    Oooooo! Sunflowers! :-) Did you get to enjoy them before drying them? What are you going to do with them? Harvest the seeds?

    I love Caleb's teepee! So cute!


  2. Amanda Says:

    We had 20ish sunflowers that were so cheerful for a few weeks. I let them fade and start drying out naturally before chopping them up. I started harvesting the seeds from the dried heads yesterday and plan on saving a handful to try planting next year. The rest will probably be fed to the birds during the winter since they've already been stealing them.